Thursday, October 29, 2015

Putting all of my eggs in one basket- One month out! Let's try not to have too many meltdowns this month okay?

This year I didn't really race much.  This year was about rehabbing my weak left hip and adding enough mileage to run a quality marathon this fall.

That being said I do miss the feeling of toeing the line....I don't plan on racing before my marathon.  I just hope that everything will come together for me on November 28th.  My taper begins in about 10 days...  I'm torn on whether I want to do another 20 miler or scale it back to 16-18 miles.  So far I have done two 20 mile runs.  I have never completed three separate 20 milers in one training cycle.  Is a third 20 miler too much?

Another thing that is in the back of my mind, is that I am so afraid that I will catch the stomach flu or some other icky the week of the race.  I didn't think that was possible until that happened to me earlier this year, when I was excited to race a 5k.

Another thing that's making me twitchy and anxious to race is that the  Rock n Roll Las Vegas Marathon is in three weeks.  I'm just going to stick my head in the sand and not pay attention to the race coverage on TV.  I would be excited for my friends racing, but I really don't think a lot of local runners will be participating.

I think the Competitor group may be loosing it's edge because I saw the race being offered on Groupon.

I guess not too many people are excited to pay
full price for an overprice marathon.
Man I would be pissed if I paid $150+ for the marathon and then saw that it was being offered on Groupon several weeks later.

Other Running News

The Las Vegas Track club has been going through some changes.  The membership has declined in recent years, and they have chosen  to restructure some of their races.  Their next big race will be their annual Turkey Trot 5k and 10k.  This year for the first time ever, they will be offering prize money!!
I set my 10k PR on this course.  It's a fast one!
Cash Prizes to Top 3 Men & Women in 10K & 5K
     $200, $100, $50
Normally I would love to take my chances at some prize money  but, this race falls one week before the marathon.  So I won't be attending this event either....


Shoe Issues?
Today I went for an 8 mile run at lunchtime, and my shoes felt a lot bigger than usual..  I know my feet swell up a little bit in the summer time, but it really seems like they have now shrunk a whole half size. WTF? 
You fit just fine last month.. In fact I couldn't even wear my
thicker socks with you because you fit too snugly.

 This was one of the reasons why I moved away from the Brooks Adrenaline last year,  My feet didn't feel secure in the heel portion of the shoe.  I'm hoping with thicker socks this issue will go away....  Just another thing to fixate on before the race.... 

That's all I've got for now.  Thanks for reading!


3 comments:

  1. Thought: With strengthening, the feet can shrink (as muscles tighten). Have you been walking barefoot? Or even lifting weights in bare feet/minimal shoes? The gripping is good exercise!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't believe you are only a month away!

    My training plan called for three 20 milers, so I don't think doing a third one would cause any problems. But on the other hand it probably would be fine to cut down to a 16-18 miler either. I would head out for 20 miles as my goal, but cut back if for some reason I just wasn't feeling it (poor fueling, soreness, whatever). And now that I've run a marathon I'm pretty much an expert, right?

    :P

    ReplyDelete
  3. $130 is a deal for a half marathon? UGH.

    I don't know if 3 20 milers is too much, but I think 2 is totally sufficient and you might benefit more from a tempo run.

    ReplyDelete