Thursday, July 2, 2015

Training Updates-Running in the heat sucks

We just wrapped up the hottest month of June on record out here in the Las Vegas Valley.  I'm trying not to be a Debbie Downer about this heat, but it's hard not to be.

I was supposed to race 1600 meters next Tuesday evening.  But, they moved the location of the race and it's just too far away for me to get to after work.  My next race will be the Legends of Cross Country 5k next month, then a few weeks later marathon training begins..


Latest Workouts

Saturday 6/27- Rest

Sunday 6/28 3.5 miles-Womp Womp-  I had planned on running for an hour, but on Saturday evening one of our AC units decided to die on us.  My husband was able to repair the unit early Sunday morning (He's does HVAC for a living).  But, I didn't get to leave the house for a run, until 9:00 am.  I thought I would run 5 miles, but that sun is no joke.  I would have skipped this run, but my PMS was giving me a rage stroke, and I just felt extra snippy with my kids and husband.  A short run was just what I needed.



Monday 6/29 3.35 miles-  I decided to run on the roads today, and that was kind of a mistake.  I ran outside the parameter of Cornerstone park,  I ended up running through a construction zone, and then because I didn't want to wait for a red light, I ran balls to the wall race pace through a crosswalk to beat a red light.  I felt like I tweaked something in my groin.  I was sore that day,  but it did give me a little scare, and it reminded me why I'm trying to stay off of the roads and in the parks more.


Tuesday 6/30 Two a days AM Circuit Training
I did the following exercises for about 10-12 reps a piece.  I would move quickly from one exercise to the next to keep my heart rate up.  I did a total of three circuits.  I tend to lift heavier with my upper body, and I don't like to add much weight to my lower body exercises.  The EZ curl bar weighs approx 25lbs.

Bicep Curls w/ EZ-curl bar
Upright row w/ EZ Curl bar
Overhead presses w/ EZ curl bar
Hamstring dead lifts w/ EZ curl bar
Good Mornings w/ EZ curl bar
Squats w/EZ curl bar
Single leg lunges w/EZ curl bar

At lunchtime I ran 7 boring miles on the treadmill at lunchtime.

Wednesday 7/1 - I ran a little over 3.5 miles around my work area. The roads were less crowded,

Thursday 7/2  Two a Days 5.2 miles total AM I drove over to the Whitney Mesa Recreation Area, and I did a short run.  It rained the night before and the temps were slightly cooler.  It was nice and quiet on the trail.



At lunchtime I did some more circuit training.  I did three circuits.  The first circuit was a carbon copy of Tuesdays' circuit:

Bicep Curls w/ EZ-curl bar
Upright row w/ EZ Curl bar
Overhead presses w/ EZ curl bar
Hamstring dead lifts w/ EZ curl bar
Good Mornings w/ EZ curl bar
Squats w/EZ curl bar
Single leg lunges w/EZ curl bar

For the 2nd circuit I did the following exercises
Incline Dumbbell Bench Press
Back Rows with dumbbells
Single leg step downs from a weight bench

For my 3rd circuit I did the following exercises
Plank-Shoulder Taps-From a straight arm plank position tap alternating shoulders with your palm.
Return to Plank position.
Mountain Climbers
Triceps Bench Dips

Then I ran 2.2 more miles on the treadmill on an incline.  I felt like I was playing treadmill games.  Mostly just kicking up the incline from time to time.  I started out running at 6.4 pace at a 1% incline then I sped up the treadmill to 6.6 2% incline, 3% incline, at the end I was running on a 5% incline.

Tomorrow will be a rest day.  I'm looking forward to the long weekend.  Happy 4th of July
 and thanks for reading.

1 comment:

  1. Hope your July is cooler than June - the temperatures you've been posting are insane!

    ReplyDelete