Monday, July 27, 2015

Training Updates, Shoe Talk, and some of the Food I Cooked over the Weekend.

Well I didn't get a chance to update this here blog last week. I recently joined a Strava running group, so at least I have been posting my workouts there. There hasn't been anything too exciting to report.... I did get a new pair of shoes... More on that later


The heat has also returned, there will be no running outdoors at lunchtime until it subsides *sob*

Training updates
Wednesday 7/15-Two a days.  Ran 3.5 mile on the street at recovery effort. At lunchtime I ran another 3.6 miles on the treadmill. I also did some strength training but, I can't remember which exercises I did.

Thursday 7/16- Rest

Friday 7/17- 5.9 miles. I had the day off from work, but I didn't head out until almost 8:30 in the morning, the sun was already blazing hot, and the pace just felt harder than usual.


Saturday 7/16- Rest

Sunday 7/17-  9.0 miles with a tempo finish. This run felt great! Here's the data.


Monday 7/18- Two a days- Whitney Mesa Recreation Area in the AM. 3.5 miles of delicious solitude. I love the  topography of this trail.


At lunchtime I headed out for a short run.  I ran 3.5 miles, the weather was just cool enough for a short run.

My brand new Nikes arrived in the mail that night.

Tuesday 7/19- 2.4 miles with some strides at the end. My new Nikes are a bit more firm than my Brooks Ravennas or the Adrenalines.  At first I didn't like this at all.  But, I can tell that this shoe is correcting some of my heel striking/arch collapsing.  I started to have Plantar Fasciitis pains in my feet mostly in my right heel.  I started having these problems, after I started wearing the ASICS Gel Keyano.

I think this shoe provided plenty of cushion, but, I don't think it did a very good job of supporting/correcting my heel striking.  I also feel like the heel to toe drop was too severe. I usually like a 10mm-12mm drop for my shoes. But, I think the  Keyanos may have an even larger drop of about 14mm.  It's almost like wearing a low heeled shoe.

Wednesday 7/20- Two a days. 2.4 miles in the AM. This run almost didn't happen. I was really pressed for time, my new shoes felt really stiff and firm. I headed into Cornerstone park, and I ran into a fellow LVTC runner. I ended up doing the last two intervals of her hill workout with her.


Not from last Tuesday, but this was the hill we were running up.



It was so cool to have run into her. At lunchtime I did some circuit training and then I ran another 2.6 miles in just about 20 minutes.

Thursday 7/21-4 mile tempo progression run. I knew that I wasn't going to be running at lunchtime, so I wanted to push the pace this morning. I ran the first mile sort of easy and the I tried to run each mile faster. Here's the data.

Mile 1-8:33
Mile 2-7:47
Mile 3-7:18
Mile 4-7:09

Friday 7/22-4.5 miles. I ran around Cornerstone park, but then I headed up the long hill up to Horizon Ridge Parkway.

Saturday 7/23 -Rest, but I did do some upper body, and core exercises on my torture rack.
I don't use you nearly as often as I should.

Sunday 7/24  8.8 miles around the neighborhood.  I chose a route that was mostly flat, and I ended up running on an unfamiliar bike path.  I tired to beat feet through this isolated stretch. Here's the data.

I liked how even my splits were.

Interesting things I ate this week
I'm still trying to find new Vegan meals to cook for dinner.   Last night I craved comfort food.  and I made a Caulifour potato mash, with a portabello mushroom and onion gravy. This meal was super tast, and  I'm surprised at how well I was able to mimic the buttery flavor of mashed potatoes using Nutrtional Yeast.

Recovery Smoothie (Vegan, Dairy Free)-After I ran on Sunday, I made a huge smoothie to share with my family.   This had greens, blueberries, banana, pineapple, coconut milk, chia seeds, hemp hearts, hemp oil,  

Beet Juice (Husband juiced this), This picture doesn't do it justice.  This also had carrots, apples, and celery in it.  I also added Chia seeds for extra nutrition.

Eggplant and Zucchini Hummus.  I'm a terrible blogger and I didn't snap a picture of this.  We made this with homemade pita bread, and it was delicious.  The vegetables give the hummus a lighter texture.


Well that's all I've got for now folks.  Welcome new readers.  And as always thank you for reading.

2 comments:

  1. Last week I went vegan for three days in an effort to clean up some bad eating habits (sometimes I just need a clean break in which I tell myself, "No cheese and wine for you!"). And I was starving for three days. So I'm impressed you maintain the lifestyle. It was quite hard!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not quite vegan yet... Eggs and cheese are my deal breakers. But, slowly but, surely eating this way is getting easier. I eat a lot of beans now.

    I thought I would be missing out on good old saturated fats, but peanut butter coconut oil are rounding out my diet nicely.

    ReplyDelete