Thursday, January 5, 2012

10 more miles and strength training

I started off my New Year with a bang! Ok so I took the first off to recover from my 13 mile tempo run but it gets better. I ran an easy 10 on the 2nd. I'm so glad we were given the Monday off from work. I wasn't going for speed at all. My legs were trashed from the previous tempo run. But, I can honestly feel that I am turning a corner here. I remember vividly a few months ago that I was struggling through 10 mile runs. Now I feel stronger and I feel that I am eager to tack on distance in the later part of the run. The route I chose starts out flat then 3 miles in we begin to go uphill slightly. Then two miles later we begin to climb. Here is a picture from a few years ago

The next two miles feature rolling hills here's another picture

Then the last three are all downhill. I brought a packet of coconut water/ energy thing. It was super sweet but it had a much lighter consistency than an energy gel. I liked  it because I didn't need to drink water with it. Even though I was sore, it was a nice run. I wore compression sleeves on my calves and I didn't feel as tired as I thought I would.
Tuesday was strength training. I went to the gym at my workplace. I don't have a gym membership right now so this works out perfectly. The equipment is OK. But, it's free so I can't complain. I worked upper body, core, and I threw in some lower body for good measure.  I'm an impatient person and I want to see results right away. But, this is not going to be an overnight transformation. This will take months of consistency and hard work. I'm so up for this challenge.

No comments:

Post a Comment