Friday, August 29, 2014

The dog days are almost over and my latest workouts

It is still broiling hot out here in Las Vegas, but the mornings are getting slightly cooler.  Last month the morning low was around 85 degrees.  This morning  it was 77 degrees...  Next month it will go back down into the 60's.   It will be so nice to leave the handheld bottle at home on some of my longer runs.


My Latest Workouts

Sunday 8/24-  12 Mile Long Run,  I didn't get to leave the house as early as I had hoped.  I ran the same route as the week before and I added to it.  I wanted to get the miles in and hopefully pick it up on the way back in. Here's the Garmin Stats
 


 I only brought my water bottle with me.  Before I left I had 1/2 of a peanut butter and jelly sandwich and two scrambled eggs.   I do okay without fuel for runs between 8-12 miles... I'm going to have to figure out my nutrition strategy if I want to run a marathon later on this year.

Monday 8/25 - 3 miles on the treadmill at lunchtime. I ran this at recovery pace, and I also did some strength training.  I worked out my chest. I did flat bench press with the bar (my max is 85lbs for reps).  I also did some one arm rows, push ups, tricep dips, and some bosu ball balance exercises for my ankles.


Tuesday 8/26  Two a days.  In the morning I ran 3 miles at an easy pace. I wore my Garmin because I wanted to be sure that I kept these miles above 9 minute pace.
At lunch time I did speed work.  I did 3x1600's  on the treadmill.  I wanted to go outside but, it was too hot.

I ran one mile to warm up.  Then I stretched, changed into my Pure Flows and then started the repeats.  I put the treadmill incline at 1% and I ran the 1600's starting at 8.4 (7:09 pace) and tried to gradually pick it up during the interval.   In between each repeat I jogged a quarter mile for recovery.  Here's the data.

7:13, 6:58, 6:56

After the intervals I ran another mile to cool down.  This workout ended up being just over 5 miles.

Wednesday 8/27-Rest, I went to Big Lots on my lunch break and treated myself to some new sunglasses and a few other household goods.

Thursday 8/28- Two a days.  I had a 50 minute Tempo run on my schedule.  I broke the workout into two runs, so I could get some extra miles in.  In the AM I ran a progression run. The first mile easy, the second mile a little faster, the last mile was a, "hurry up you are going to be late mile".  Here's the data:
Mile 1- 8:35
Mile 2- 7:56
Mile 3- 7:16

At lunch time I headed outside, it was hot but, I didn't want to run on the treadmill. I picked a hilly route that I could run easy up the hill, and then try to pick up the pace on the way back down.  Here's the data:
Mile 1-8:36
Mile 2-9:02
Mile 3-7:17
Mile 4-7:51
Mile 5-7:26

This weekend my mother-in-law is going to be in town for the Labor Day holiday. It's always great to have extra help with the kiddos, and more time to run.

1 comment:

  1. Fuel is so hard for me, too - and worse, I run on an empty stomach most of the time thanks to stomach cramping issues. Hope you can find the right mix.

    ReplyDelete