Monday, March 31, 2014

Two steps forward and one step back, minor injuries and new shoes.

Lately I have been patting myself on the back for doing speed work and hitting Tempo workouts.  However, I have really been neglecting one of the most basic fundamentals of running and it has come to bite me in the ass.   I haven't been  stretching or warming up properly before some of my harder workouts and now I am recovering from a groin strain on my right leg....


Workouts since my last post


Wednesday 3/26- Rest

Thursday 3/27-  Ran just over 6 miles. 52:37 (6.35 miles @8:17 pace)   My lower abdomen was really sore and walking was a little painful.  I decided to go for a run to see how I felt. I told myself if it hurt, that I would stop immediately and turn back around.  I was able to run six miles on it, but I knew something felt off.  After my workout I began the Google search for my symptoms....

Friday 3/28- Rest- I got some new running shoes. More on this later.

Saturday 3/29- Rest- and a whole lot of stretching

Sunday 3/30 Rest- More stretching

Today 3/31-More rest


I am hoping to go out for a test run on Wednesday 4/2.

I injured myself last week doing speed work (6 x 800  at 10k pace)..  I was so excited to hammer out a hard workout that I didn't warm up enough.  I just jogged a mile and went for it.  After my workout I didn't do a proper cool down. I just hopped in my car and I headed back to work..  The Hal Higdon program that I am working with emphasizes that you need to stretch everyday.  It also suggests that you really need to stretch before doing any speed work.

I have learned my lesson and I hope this injury is only a slight muscle strain.



When I first found out I was injured I was really worried that I could have given myself a sports hernia.  My lower abdomen was really sore near my c-section scar.  That was the most painful but, I didn't notice that the pain was also radiating down to my groin area.

I have had two c-sections and I thought that I  was  being careful and cautious with my training. Last year when I was in the process of losing the baby weight I gradually increased my mileage and my speed. I didn't want to do too much too soon.   I didn't do any interval training and I kept all of my long runs around 6-8 miles until I got below 135bs.  As my weight got lower my speed gradually increased.  I have just started doing true speed work again.    I didn't realize how much harder on my body this would be.


New Shoes

I have been wearing the Brooks Adrenaline for several years now.  It's a great sturdy shoe that can handle a lot of abuse. It has been my go-to-shoe forever and I am very sad that it is no longer working out for me. It may have also contributed to my injury.... I'm going to give you a breakdown of my last three pairs to show you why.

This pair I wore last year right after Rachel was born.

Pretty even wear and tear.





This is the pair I wore last fall.


I started wearing this pair at the beginning of the year.

I wore these for speed work and it was a bad idea.
Hello forefoot strike!

My stride has been evolving without me noticing it.  It didn't occur to me that when I run faster miles (Tempo & Intervals), that I'm landing on my forefoot and really pushing off on my right side/toe.  The heel to toe drop for this shoe is 13mm.  That means there is a heel to toe difference of 13mm.

I went to a local running store and I tried on several different pairs of shoes.  I still need a supportive shoe.
I'm vary wary of trying minimalist shoes.  Those just scream "injury waiting to happen",   to me.  

I tried the Brooks Pure Cadence 3 and the heel to toe drop is just too extreme for me to switch to.   The heel to toe drop on these shoes is only 5mm.    They remind me of racing flats.  It's just to big of an adjustment for me to make three weeks out from a half marathon. 

I used to love running in Mizunos but, lately the brand has left me feeling underwhelmed.   They have made a lot of changes to their shoes and the price point keeps getting higher and higher for a basic running shoe.  


I ended up choosing the Saucony Guide 7.  The heel to drop is about 9mm.   I like that these are light weight and still supportive.



I can't wait to take you for a spin.


Earlier this year I bought a pair of ASICS GT-1000's. I bought these shoes just for funsies. After doing further research I discovered that the heel to toe drop on these shoes is 9mm.  I was only wearing these for my shorter recovery runs.  


I didn't think that these would be replacing my Adrenaline's.  I wore these shoes on Thursday when I ran 6 miles and they felt fine.  

Injuries suck.  I'm kicking myself for not remembering the small stuff (stretching and warming up). 








No comments:

Post a Comment