It's that time of year again. We are now officially in the hot season here in Las Vegas. It seemed like we had one or two pleasant weeks of temp's in the 70's before the ever present sun is now upon us.
I honestly believe that the Summer temps are what will make or break a runner out here. This is going to become my treadmill season....
I'm bummed because my days of running outside at lunch time are over. Even my habitual weekend stroller running will need some improvising over the next few months. Last Saturday I took my son out for our "run" we did 4 miles and we left the house at 8am. He was very warm when we got home, and I felt like a bad mommy. On Sunday we went out again, but we left earlier, and I put a huge netting over the stroller so it looked like a bee keeper was riding along with me.. I also stopped to drink water and splash water on his little legs and forehead.
Tips for surviving the hot temps:
- Leave early in the morning (I don't have the option to run outside at night, it's too dangerous)
- Bring water with you, or stash water along the course you will be running
- Wear light colored clothing, dark clothing attracts heat
- Wear sunscreen
- Wear a hat or sun visor. (I am a habitual hat wearer) I worry about skin cancer, also another fun trick to try is to dunk your hat in water, then put it in the freezer for a few minutes. Crunchy hat, but it is really nice on a hot day.
- Energy gels or electrolytes are really essential this time of year. I also wear a "fanny pack" in the hot months (mine is a Nathan so it's not quite as dorky). I carry a gel, money for water, and my phone just in case).
I honestly believe that these brutal summers have made me a stronger runner. Happy Training!