Monday, April 2, 2012

11 miles in the wind. I loved every minute of it.

The half is less than a week away. Last Friday I was starting to have thoughts of  "have I done enough".  I went running at lunch time in my new Mizunos. It was 78 degrees I felt sluggish.  I only ran three miles and my new shoes just felt stiff.  Well that night I wanted to give it another go so I ran 6 more miles on the treadmill. On Saturday I took a rest day, it was more of a trade off with my husband. He promised me he would watch our son on Sunday morning. If I knocked out my chores (sweeping and mopping) and shopping on Saturday (Target). It was a deal.

On Sunday morning. I looked out the window and the trees were being whipped around in the wind.  I got up did the typical morning breakfast routine with my son. I let my husband sleep in for an extra hour. Finally it was time to head out. I didn't want to put  much pressure on this last long run.  I took off and the winds were cold. The first 3 miles were easy flat some of it was running into the wind and some of it was at my back. Well after that 3 the climb began. I climbed about 300 feet in the next 3 miles. I had the wind at my back for some of the uphill climb but the majority of it was run directly into the wind. I thought I was going to hurt really bad during this part. But, I was really enjoying it. I was climbing up an upgrade and I got passed by a couple on bicycles (they weren't hardcore cyclists). But when we rounded the corner and were going directly into the wind I enjoyed passing them right back. I kept thinking that running into the wind was like an investment. I knew that on the way back I would be flying downhill with the wind behind me. 
I really felt great.  Even with the head winds  I finished 10.95 miles (I'm rounding up here) in 89 minutes. I used map my run with my phone. It tracked the time but the GPS cut out and I lost some of the split times....  So this run averaged out to about 8:06 per mile.  I know I was taking it easy during the first half into the wind.  The second half I felt like I was flying.  I am hoping to repeat this strategy this Saturday. First half easy, second half  haul ass.

2 comments:

  1. Dolly did you taper off in training the week before the event? I've got three and half weeks before my first half and I have been dealing with a sore left groin muscle (hip abductors). I stopped running and cross trained on the bike and stair climber instead. When I try squats or anything I tweak it. :( If there's a time cutoff, I just hope to cross the line before they cut me off LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh wow, I'm so excited for you! Which half are you running? I think you will do well. You have done a century ride! You are tough!

    ReplyDelete