Tuesday, May 1, 2012

I went to the Dr. today

Well I went to my general practitioner today because my allergies are bugging the heck out of me.  In the last year I have had bronchitis and sinusitis due to allergies. 

In previous years I have been able to deal with allergies by taking Claritin or Zyrtec for a few days during the beginning of Spring. Then I become acclimatized and I am fine. I am usually able to run just fine, blowing a few snot rockets here or there.  This year I feel like a pansy.  I went for a run outside last Friday and I gutted out 7 miles. It felt like I was breathing through a straw and when I returned I had a nasty coughing fit followed by spitting up enormous amounts of phlegm. I know this sounds gross, but I wanted to write down my feelings before I change my mind.

I was hoping to get an allergy shot. My husband suffers from terrible allergies (much worse than I).  He got an allergy shot last month and he is fine. Well my Dr. suggested a different route and I have a few medications to try.

I signed up for the Susan G. Komen Breast Cancer 5k this weekend. This race has special meaning for me. Personally, I have not lost any close family members to this horrible disease. I do have an aunt that is a survivor. I also have friends that have lost mothers, sisters, and friends to breast cancer.

This race is also one of the largest 5k's in Las Vegas. I ran this race in 2005, 2007, 2008, & 2010.

In 2010, I was pregnant (4 weeks, but I didn't know it at the time).  Last year so much was going on, my son was only 3 months old and we had just moved into a new home. Talk about hectic.

I am hoping to see what kind of 5k shape I am in. I don't like to enter races just for fun or use them as training runs. I like to push myself as hard as I can. There is something very satisfying in knowing that you have left it all out there on the course.


*My last post got a bit of traffic from the whole Nicole and Gwendolyn craziness. I decided to comment on her blog, because she had some unkind remarks about Deena Kastor. I love all things running, and I am quite fond of Deena. I watched her on TV in 2004 during the Barcelona Olymipics when she won a bronze medal.  She is an inspiration and a class act. I never decided to attack Nicole or call  her any names.  She chose to come to my blog to harass me. Either way, Thank you for stopping by.

3 comments:

  1. Just found you!!! =) Hi!!!! I hope your doc helps you in terms of allergy meds. I don't know where you live, but here in FL we are having one of the worst allergy seasons in a decade - children who have never been diagnosed with allergies are coming into the clinic with horrible symptoms. =( Definitely keep after it and pester your doc - you are your own best advocate!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. Sometimes with allergy meds it is a lot of trail and error. Out here in Nevada this is being labed as the "worst" allergy season on record. I feel way better than I did a week ago. But, there is still room for improvement. Thank you for stopping by. :)

      Delete
  2. Dolly I thought my allergies (which seem to be more severe this year) had to do with living in Reno but it sounds like it's all across Nevada if not the nation. I'm trying a holistic remedy recommended to me and that is consuming local honey. It seems to be helping. Hope your allergies are under control soon.

    By the way, that nicoleandgwendolyn chick needs to eat a hamburger or, better yet, devour a buffet. Maybe some food will mellow her out. Your comment must've been darn good because it set her off on a rampage, LOL.

    ReplyDelete