Thursday, March 22, 2012

Why did you start running?


I belong to a running club, called Sin City Road Runners.  I am not able to attend their mid week runs. But, sometimes I am able to run on the weekends with the group.  The other day on their facebook page the following question was asked; "Why did you start running?" So many thoughts raced through my head. But, I decided to share the following answer
Well.... I was in Jr. High. I hit puberty and I got chunky fast.... My mom had been a runner and I decided to give it a go. I would run around the block in my Keds sneakers. One day my best friend and I decided to run to the beach and back. It was three miles round trip. We stopped a couple of times to walk, but we felt like champs after completing our run. We kept it up and eventually ran our first 5k together. I went into high school leaner, but I fell in love with running.  I then decided to do track and cross country. 20 years later I couldn’t imagine my life without running. It has given me more than I could ever ask for.

That's it in a nutshell. But there has been so much in the last 20 years that I don't feel like that answer gives it justice.

Running opened many doors for me and has made my life better in so many ways:
  • When I joined the ARMY I was able to pass the APFT (the physical fitness test) on my first try.
  • While in the military I was able to get promoted faster because of my physical fitness ability.
  • I was able to travel to Washington DC on a competitive 10 Mile team for the all ARMY 10 Miler.
  • Running has been a productive outlet for all of my nervous energy.
  • It's still a fantastic calorie burner.
  • I've had great running friendships over the years.
  • Nothing feels better than that endorphin high.
  • It gives me patience and peace
I plan on running till my wheels come off. So now my question to you  is same. Why did you start running?

No comments:

Post a Comment