Thursday, January 8, 2015

My latest training updates Hal Higdon 10K Training

I haven't raced a 10k in almost three years. It's a fun distance to race.  I don't get to race too often and I'm usually training for either the 5k or the  half marathon distance. I'm really curious to see what kind of shape I will be in on February 1st.

My PR for the 10k distance is 42:35.  I ran that time in November 2009 at a Turkey Trot race. I ran this race as a tune up for the Rock n Roll Las Vegas Marathon-  I remember feeling really shocked that I ran a 10k that fast.
This was the final sprint to the finish


The last time I raced a 10k was back in May of 2012. I ran a  really shitty race.  Everything felt off and I just felt really tired.  I was really bummed out because I felt like was getting back on track and regaining some of my former speed (I had a baby in 2011 and it whopped my ass).   It turns out that I was pregnant with my second child but, I didn't know it yet.



I don't think I will be near PR shape, but I think that  I can maybe go below 44 minutes for the distance.  Oh who am I kidding !?  I will be pretty butt hurt if I don't break 44 minutes.  Last year during the Saints and Sinners Half Marathon, I was able to record a 43:26 10k Garmin PR during the half marathon( It was probably during the downhill portion).


I'm going with a Hal Higdon 10k training program.  I had to modify this 8 week training cycle into 5 weeks in order to recover from my recent Holiday Half Marathon.

I like Hal Higdon's training programs.  They helped me train for two half marathons last year, and I was really pleased with the flexibility of the training programs.

I've never really used a training program to train for a 10k.  In the past I would train for a marathon once or twice a year.  I would use a 10k race as speed work for the upcoming marathon  or just race them sporadically.

My Latest Workouts

Saturday 1/3-Rest,  This was a planned rest day, However I noticed that my left hip flexor was very sore from doing planks on a stability ball at they gym the day before.  I was doing reverse ab crunches with a stability ball after my run on Friday,  I started screwing around and doing planks, and then one legged planks on the stability ball. I noticed that my right hip flexor ( tensor fasciae latae) is a lot stronger than my left one.  I felt it twinge right away and I immediately stopped what I was doing.  The muscle was tender that night and a little on Saturday but, it is feeling a-okay now.  Whew.  I'm probably going to have to address these imbalance issues before they get any worse.



Sunday   1/4  I woke up late and I didn't get to run 8 miles in the morning like I had hoped.  However, I did get run in the afternoon at Sunset Park and it was really nice.


The temps were in the high 50's and I got to run in shorts and a T-shirt.   I kept trying to pay attention to my left hip and it didn't hurt while I was running.  I think the imbalance might be from hugging the shoulder of the road when I run.  I sometimes run in the gutter if cars are getting to close, I don't run on the sidewalks very much.  I prefer the shoulder of the road.  I ran 6 miles and it turned into a progression tempo run.  Here are the split times:  (9:18, 8:29, 8:37, 8:34, 7:31, 7:20)

Monday 1/5  Strength Training and 3 mile run
I went to the gym and I did a few exercises:  I did cable rows, one arm rows, body weight squats on a Bosu Trainer, one legged balance exercises on Bosu Trainer, and some lat pull downs.  I also did some alternating side lunges on the Bosu Trainer.  Then I ran three miles at recovery pace (8:37, 8:49, 8:42)

Tuesday 1/6 Speed work!!! 10 X 400's I flipped flopped my days because I am used to doing speed work on Tuesdays.  It was a really nice day!  It was 60 degrees and it felt like spring time on my lunch break.  I went to a park that is near my work and I measured the .25 with my Garmin and then I used a stop watch to time the intervals.

Before I got started I ran a mile to warm up and I did a few form drills/strides. For recovery I slowly jogged about 100 meters. Half way through the workout I switched directions.  I wanted to improve my times from the week before and I did slightly.  I wore my ipod nano and I was going to save the music for the second half of the workout.  I was so pumped up that I totally forgot about my music.   I also work my Brooks Pure Flows for the workout.  Here's the data:

89, 89, 89, 94,94, 95, 93, 96, 92, 92

I did  a very short cool down and then I headed back to work.

Wednesday 1/7 I was surprised when I saw 6 miles + strength training on my schedule.  I did a few upper body exercises; Cable flys, bicep curls, shoulder rows, shoulder presses, lat pull downs,reverse crunches, and Roman Chair Leg Lifts.  I then went for a hilly 6 mile run.  Oh man it hurt.
 The first three miles were up the hill and then 3 miles back down the hill.   I averaged 8:34 pace.  Slower at the beginning and faster towards the end.  (9:02, 9:36, 8:33, 8:00, 8:01, 8:12)

Thursday 1/8  Today is a rest day I'm beat.

I apologize for the typos and errors.  I'm in a hurry to post.  As always thank you for reading

1 comment:

  1. Good for you keeping up with all the strength stuff. I like the 10k, too, even though it's "short" for my minimal talents, but I rarely get to run one. There just aren't all that many 10ks out there anymore! The big one is the Crescent City Classic in April, which I stupidly signed up for (15 weeks post op...yeah). I intend on bumbling through that as best as I can, but if/when I am totally better, I really want a sub-40 10k. So thanks for the training plan recs, because I would NEED a plan to get a good time! And while there are a million marathon training plans out there, I don't find as many 10k plans.

    ReplyDelete