Monday, November 25, 2013

Racing for Turkeys No Garmins Allowed?!



I ran a low key 5k race over the weekend.  The premise of the race was to see how accurate you could guess your 5k time.  The  runners with the closest guesses to their actual time got to bring home the turkeys.


The race was held at the Old Silver Bowl Park.  This is located behind the Sam Boyd UNLV Football stadium and isn't too far from where I live.  The race didn't get started until 8am. That's kind of a late start for me, but it gave me time to eat breakfast and play with my kids for a little bit before the run.



For the race we were not allowed to wear any watches, Garmins, or wear any headphones.  Also the finish clock wouldn't be on display. 

I guessed that I would be able to run 21:30 for the 5k. I lined up near the front (it was a pretty small race).   I started out pretty quickly for the first 800 meters and then I eased off the pace a little bit.  I didn't feel like I was running all out but, the pace did feel pretty hard. 

When we got to the turn around point I realized that I was the first female overall.  My friend Toshie was also running that day.  She is a fast 5k runner, however she ran the Rock n Roll Marathon the week before so I knew she was still in recovery mode.

After the turn around point the runners had spread out and I think I may have eased off the pace because no one was around me.

I got picked off by two male runners with about a half mile to go.  I tried to finish strong and stay with them but, they had faster finishing kicks than I did.




After the race we had to wait for the official results and then the turkeys were awarded.

Me waiting with Toshie for the results.
There was a slight mix up with the race results and they had initially written my finish time down wrong.

Not very happy to receive a can of green beans.

 
My official time was 21:38.  I was only eight seconds off of my original guess.  After the mix up was corrected I was awarded my turkey.




I am very pleased with how I ran.  I think I could have ran this a little bit faster. I'm not really sore today. 

Thank you to the Las Vegas Track Club for hosting the race, the photos, and the turkeys!!

2 comments:

  1. I'm impressed! I don't think I could ever guess a finish time so accurately. Hope the turkey is yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. CONGRATULATIONS Dolly!! When I read the title I thought - what the heck?! What kind of race wouldn't allow tracking watches and now it makes sense. I had not known about the turkey run until now. That is cool!! Way to go on guessing your time and congrats again on bringing home the turkey!!

    ReplyDelete