Wednesday, December 16, 2015

Recovery Running, Ethel M, Visit to Oxnard, & Whitney Mesa

This week is the first week, where I am feeling somewhat back to normal. I'm trying to fight off some sinus issues (maybe a slight cold).  But, I'm trying to get back into a normal training routine again.

I wanted to post my post marathon recovery, to show you how I recover.  I'm sorry to bore you with two weeks of updates.

Recovery week November 30-Dec 6
Monday 11/30-Rest, I did stretch.
Tuesday 12/1- Rest- A little bit of light stretching.

Wednesday 12/2- I went for my first post marathon recovery run.  I ran 2.1 miles at 9:17 average pace.  This run felt so much longer than two miles.  I also did a little bit of light weight training.

Thursday 12/3-Rest

Friday 12/4- 2.8 Miles @ 9:05 average pace.  I felt like I had a little bit more energy, but I'm still feeling sluggish and tired.

Saturday 12/5-Rest, but I got a big workout in that evening.  I met up with my very good friend Jenn, and we took our kids the Ethel M Chocolate Factory's Nature Preserve.

They decorate the area with Christmas lights and Santa Claus even made an appearance.

 I didn't bring a stroller for my younger child.  I ended up carrying her around when we had to get through foot traffic, or to dodge around people who did bring their strollers.

Sunday 12/6-Rest
 I must be getting old. I'm not used to being out at night, and I felt like I had gone out drinking and dancing all night. Nope, just a sore shoulder from kid hauling.

Recovery week December 7-13
Monday 12/7-Circuit training followed by a two mile tempo run on the treadmill.  I was itching to go outside, but I didn't have a whole lot of time.  For circuit training I did the following exercises.
1st set
Flat dumb bell bench press 
Chest Flys with dumb bells
One Arm Rows 
Step ups onto a bench with a knee lift

2nd set w/25lb EZ curl bar
Bicep curls 
Upright Shoulder Rows
Over head Shoulder Press
Good Mornings
Single Leg Lunges

Last set 
Lat Pull Downs
Push up

Tuesday 12/8 -Rest

Wednesday 12/9- Two a days. 4.6 Miles for the day.  I had a few errands to run, I was also feeling kind of anxious/jittery due to PMS.  Running helps me focus when I'm feeling jittery.  With my morning commute being 15 minutes longer than it used to be  I only had time to run 2 miles before work.  But, two miles is enough to make me feel less irritated, and more able to focus when I sit down in front of my monitor all day.
At lunch time, I had time time to get  another short 2.5 mile run in.

Thursday 12/10-3.1 Miles at lunch time...This was a nice short run, just to get some fresh air

Friday 12/11-That day at work, we had our holiday party.  I had been on the committee for organizing the event.  I think this was one of the reasons why I was stressed out earlier in the week.  I was worried that I would forget something, or that something would go wrong...
Also earlier in the week, we decided to drive to my husband's and my hometown on Friday evening.

 We left at about 4pm and got into Ventura County a little before 10pm.  My husband is a champ for driving in gusty winds with some rain.  We stayed with my parents and we let kids stay up way late that night.

Saturday 12/12- 4 Miles at sea level. The story of my life is, "I only have time for a short run".  We were only going to be in town for 36 hours, and there was a lot of family to visit.  I managed to get out of the house for a short run, and I wanted to rip down the road. I live in Las Vegas and the elevation is around 1750  feet, The air is also quite dry.  My hometown is Oxnard CA, which is very at sea level and a stones throw away from the ocean.

The air was so moist, and full of oxygen!  I brought my waist pack so I could bring my phone, to record the data on Strava mobile (even on vacation I can't live without my data).  But, I was running completely blind because my Garmin Forerunner 10 decided to quit on me. Anyway....
I think I ran easy for .25 miles and then I just wanted to run as hard as I could...  There were a few stretches where I had to slow down to cross the street safely, and there were times that I did a few intervals for fun.  It was a nostalgic run, around my old neighborhood, and by my old junior high school.

Later on that day we went to visit my husband's side of the family, and then we took a quick trip to Port Hueneme Beach to let our kids stick their feet in the sand.

Sunday 12/13- Rest
We had to get back in the car super early.  But, we let the kids open up a few presents from their grandparents first.

Monday 12/14- Rest.  I had to go to the post office on my lunch break.  No time to run.

Tuesday 12/15- I had wanted to run something long.  But, my body is still telling me "NOPE".  I went to the Whitney Mesa Recreation Area, and ran around there.  I didn't have a planned route, and the park isn't very large.  I found a few neat climbs, but I hate sliding down the side of a hill.

I ran just over 5 miles.
 I also froze my butt off wearing only a t-shirt and shorts...That night I felt like crap, and I took a dose of Nyquil. 

Wednesday-12/16 -Rest, I'm not feeling so hot, so I'm going to listen to my body and rest....

Well I guess that's all I've got for now.  My apologies for the length of this post.

Thank you for reading.


  1. Geez, you make me wish I trained at elevation!

    Smart of you to listen to your body. Mine is still feeling busted because I didn't do so well with that.

  2. Look at the difference at sea level! You can fly!