Monday, July 9, 2012

8 miles solo. It's been a long time



I had the best run the other day.  I don't get to run outside very often, so I really got to appreciate the joy of running last Friday morning.

Summer in Las Vegas. It is what it is......  And what it is; HOT really fricking HOT!! So hot, that I have not been outside to run by myself in almost two months. During the week my son is up at 5:30am so unless I want to run at 4:30am (that's not going to happen) I am usually stuck on the treadmill at lunchtime. On the weekends I take my son with me in his stroller.  My husband does air conditioning and refrigeration,  this time of year is the busy season for him.  For the last month he has been picking up work on Saturday mornings.  When he's not working he will be doing chores around the house (sweeping the pool, trimming trees, & other yard work).  I feel guilty leaving him with our son. The farthest I have ever taken my son out running is 6 miles.  It's just too hot to be outside running after 8:30am.
Total lifesaver in the Summer
This weekend I had my parents and my mother-in-law staying with me for the weekend. I was excited because I knew I would have someone to watch my little guy. On Friday morning I filled up my Nathan Handheld bottle full of ice with a splash of water and I headed out.

I wanted to run at least 6 miles.  Because I'm pregnant I knew I had to be careful, it was 85 degrees when I left the house and the temps were climbing fast.  I was about two and half miles into my route when I decided to make this an 8 mile out and back run. My motivation was that there would be a gas station at mile 4, where I could refill my bottle with ice. It was good motivation! The climb up the hill to the gas station was tough.  I took a few rest breaks. There is no need to get my heart rate too high up.


When I arrived at gas station I realized that I forgot to bring money with me, but the lady working at the gas station was very nice and she let me refill my bottle with ice for free.

The ride back home was great. 4 miles of gradual downhill running. I also get a wonderful view of the Strip. I never get tired of the view.
These pictures were taken last winter but, it's from the
 same route I ran on Friday


I felt so happy, relaxed, and grateful to enjoy something that I sometimes take for granted. Even with the heat it was one of those perfect runs.










1 comment:

  1. Awesome Dolly!! I haven't tried running with water and I think I should try to with a bottle like that. I hope your pregnancy is going well.

    ReplyDelete